Newark: 01636 676325   Mansfield: 01623 372000   Lincoln: 01522 420450 Grantham: 01476 855035 [email protected]

Carbon Monoxide is a toxic gas that cannot be smelt, tasted or seen. It can be produced when you have a dysfunctional boiler, fire (including open fires) and cookers. This is why it is so important to have your boiler serviced regularly! But in the time in between boiler servicing, a carbon monoxide detector could genuinely save your life. 

There are many detectors available to buy, each serving the same purpose. But be sure to get one that complies with British standard and carries the British or European approved mark.  

In the winter months it is even more essential to make sure your detector is working. Simply because this is the time of year gas appliances are used the most. We are turning our boilers on, cranking up those radiators, lighting our cosy open fires and cooking a hearty Christmas dinner in our cookers. Each of the above appliances can dangerously release carbon monoxide into your home. 

A carbon monoxide detector costs as little as £10 and it really could save your life.  

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms

It can be very easy to confuse symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to the flu and given the time of year. Here are some possible symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: 

  • Headaches 
  • Nausea 
  • Dizziness
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapsing
  • Passing out

What to do if you think there could be a gas leak

If you smell gas or think there might be a leak: 

  • Turn off the gas at the meter 
  • Extinguish naked flames 
  • Open the windows 
  • Leave the area
  • Seek medical advice if you feel unwell

Don’t wait for this to happen though, get a detector. Don’t assume it’ll never happen to you. 

Alternatively, give us a call here at Heat Haus. One if our engineers can come and check your boiler and test it for any unsafe flue gases. We want you to stay safe and legal in your home.

In an emergency

The Health and Safety Executive advise that if you suspect a leak, turn off the supply and immediately call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 for natural gas. For liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), call your LPG supplier.

  • If in doubt, evacuate the building and inform the police as well as the National Gas Emergency Service or your gas supplier
  • Do not turn a gas supply back on until a leak has been dealt with by a competent person

Newark: 01636 676325

Mansfield: 01623 372000

Lincoln: 01522 420450

Grantham & Sleaford: 01476 855035

We’ve got a range of plans to help keep your home warm and working. Whether it’s your boiler, central heating or plumbing our Haus Care cover helps you avoid the unexpected costs of breakdowns and ensures that we are on hand 24×7 for any emergencies.

All plans include an annual service.